What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2cm Becker Projectile ID

BEAR64

Hi All,

Need info (ID) on 2cm AP Becker projectile please.

As per photos you will see the two different types of projectile, both bought as Becker rounds in Becker cases.

All the info and photographs i've viewed on AP rounds show the more streamlined projectile type (of which many future AP projectiles would be based on) or a flat tipped projectile but nothing on the less streamlined projectile i have and which appears to have its original brass base plug.

Could this be a very early Becker projectile the design of which was updated to the more streamlined version or maybe a 2cm Ehrhardt projectile mismatched with a Becker case.

Measurements as follows:

Unknown Projectile:
Calibre: 20mm
Length: 80mm
Drive Band Width: 3.5mm
Drive Band to Base (not including base plug): 5mm
Internal Cavity Depth: 47mm
Internal Cavity Width: 10mm

Streamlined Becker Projectile:
Calibre: 20mm
Length: 80mm
Drive Band Width: 4.5mm
Drive Band to Base: 5mm
Internal Cavity Depth: 37mm
Internal Cavity Width: 9mm

Not sure if the cavity in both was for Tracer or Incendiary compound.

Any help, opinions, data or photos would be much appreciated.

Best Regards
BEAR.

2CM BECKER AP ROUNDS.jpg2CM BECKER PROJECTILES + BASE PLUG.jpg2CM BECKER PROJECTILES.jpg2CM BECKER CASE HEADSTAMPS.jpg

Very nice rounds, thanks for showing.
I have seen the less-streamlined versions before but so far have been unable to obtain one.
One thing that is interesting, is the fact that your plug does not appear to have a hole for the tracer flame - it seems to be solid. Incendiary projectiles looked completely different.
I have checked a few of the steel plugs that I have and all seem to be well marked (with hole) as are most of the projectiles for the Becker/Erhardt cartridges. If these "blunted" projectiles are indeed Becker/Erhardt, I wonder if they were for practice purposes?

I wonder if the plug is a homemade item. Its in Brass, all the Becker plugs i have seen are steel, with a hollow insert, where as this one is solid. Also the mentioned lack of hole and markings that appear to be a feature of these projectiles.

pysall, ron3350, kahu1, many thanks for your input.

Most likely you are right saying the plug is home made however, i read an article a few years ago regarding early multi purpose projectiles that stated base plugs made from soft metals like brass and magnesium were used, the magnesium plugs would ignite and burn away whilst the brass plugs would be separated from the projectile by the friction of the gun firing and the heat produced upon leaving the gun barrel.

ron3350, your reference is very helpful. The MK.2 Becker projectile has the same overall profile as mine except for the lip a third way down from tip and driving band has slant on topside. Have never seen this type before and leads me to believe that my round is quite possibly a MK.1 Becker and the streamlined projectile is MK.3, the MK.2 showing characteristics of both.

Would be very interested in seeing photos of the Becker rounds and their base plugs that you three have in your collections.

Many thanks for posting replies they have been a massive help.

Best Regards,
BEAR.

Last edited: