What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 20-MM Drill

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
British 20-MM Drill Round.

Length: 183-MM

Markings are kind of odd.

Joe

Attachments

• DSC_4398.jpg
    DSC_4398.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_4401.jpg
    DSC_4401.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4402.jpg
    DSC_4402.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_4407.jpg
    DSC_4407.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 59
Odd?? What do you mean, "Odd"? They look perfectly normal to me for a British 20mm Hispano Drill Mk.1.

It is made of bronze, and was made at ROF Maltby in 1949. I also have one that has three red-painted "dimples" in the side, instead of flutes.

Regards,
Roger.

Odd for me … I don't usually look at these this hard. Trying to learn as I go. And 20, 25, 30, and even 40-MM rounds have been the bane of my studies. So many of them made by just about every country in every color, material, and type.

Can you post pictures of the dimples? I would be interested in see them.

Joe

Tomsk,

As far as I know, RML is Maltby. I am sure that if I am wrong someone else on here will say so!

Joe,
Have taken a photo of my two Mk.1 Drill, plus one of the Mk.2.
However, currently having trouble downloading images from camera to computer, so may be a while until I get it sorted. Have noticed, however, that the fluted Mk.1 has a bronze head, whilst the dimpled one has a steel "screw-in" head. Both have very similar headstamps, although the bronze head has a small "broad arrow".

The Mk.2 also seems to be bronze, but is nickel or chrome plated, has no flutes or dimples, and has a steel head with the headstamp 20MM 50 JES, and is stamped DRILL 2 on the case side, just above the extractor groove.

Regards,
Roger.

Joe,

Herewith (at last) photo of three Drill rounds. The chromed one is the Mk.2

Attachments

• 25  1.4.20 20mm HS drills 3.jpg
    25 1.4.20 20mm HS drills 3.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 30