What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75x378R

benno

Morning,
who knows which kind of gun was used by german during ww2 with this case dimension

75 x 378 R

I have found the field gun 1891 L/30 for this ammunition but I dont' found it in german artillery.

Thank you in advance,
Benno

Hello
If it has a rim diameter of 98mm it would be a German FK L/30

2nd WW, german, F.K. L/30 and length 378mm, really? Do you have any more details? Not even know about a 1st WW german gun with such a case.

@benno: Why no pictures? If it is a 2nd WW geman case it should have a case number which clearly identifies the gun - except it's a heavy rusted steel case. Not only case meassurements needed for an ID, also the shape of the case is a big help.

Last edited:
Thank you both, you are right! here a photo. One just cleaned of the rust, 2 protected with antirust. Steel made. Very bad condition. No number readible, no single letter :/
Rim diameter 88mm.
I think it could be of some gun of other countries, maybe Italian, they comes from Gothic Line. But I see on the web too much 75 guns from other country and I'm lost in finding the right one by myself !
75x378R.jpg

76,2 x 385R maybe? Would be 7mm difference.
I'm sorry, you are right, first measurement was rong. It is exactely 382mm long. I don't know if this quote is like 385 as you suggest or a different one.
About diameter I see 75.4mm, but some deformation are possible.
Now I quote both pictures, sorry not post since beginning :!
For my research ... I still doesnt' know which gun could be.
Thank your help and patience!
75x382.jpg
75 diameter.jpg

Several russian field guns used this calibre but when found in Italy and the material is steel then they are nearly for sure german made for captured russian guns. There should be several threads about 76,2 mm german made ammunition here but they are not easy to find with the search function because the search function requires long words. Searching for just numbers mostly not works.

There are not many other cases with this shape, meassurements and made from steel other than a 76,2x385R. The few missing milimeters are due to rust and not using a caliper for meassurement and factory length tolerances for artillery cases were sometimes also large (but not sure about the 76,2x385 because they were loaded as cartridges). Official rim diameter is 88,5 mm.

Last edited:
OK thank you Alpini. I will search in that direction. If you any other idea on the matter, I will appreciate a lot :)