What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17pr packaging

Red Rat

Hello,

I received my C323 ammunition box for two 17pr APCBC today. I´m not really sure how to fit the cartridges into the box. As far as I know they were packed in "containers" (cardboard tubes?), but I didn´t find anything about the containers.

Does anybody know how they were packed?

Kind regards,
Philipp

The 1953 ammo manual shows steel boxes used cardboard tubes. The wood boxes do not show the tubes. It does not show a C323 box.

I've only seen Canadian use for the C323, all made by GSW. I would assume packed in the Container 213.
C323.jpgNot my box, just a pic from the net.

Thank you for the responses. I don´t think that I will get the chance to get two orignal containers, so I will try to build them as reproductions.

What was the Canadian C323 used for.
I can find no mention of that package for any 17 Pr ammunition.
The only Boxes Steel in the 1953 publication were C317 and C213 which were of a design associated with loading high sided vehicles.
This could have been a package used to meet a wartime need which was superseded.

I've only ever seen it marked for 17 pr apcbc. Though I've never seen one in person, I am aware of two in Canada, one in the UK and there is now Phillips one here. They are a large, useful box so I'm surprised it's not more common but I have also been unable to find any information about it.

You beat me to it. My next question was about stampings or embossings on the package.
GSW is General Steel Wares, Canada.
I have researched UK ammunition bulletins back to 1940, for 17 Pr ammunition and packages. There is no mention of this package .
The package is in the UK numbering system of the time, with 2Pr and 6Pr 7 Cwt package numbers all around it.
It is likely that the package was used for another short lived UK munition and Canada exclusively used it for their 17Pr.
They certainly produced enough of it including their highly prized more accurate APDS.