What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Projectile, 5 inch HC, Mk 41 Mod 0 naval shell - Drawings wanted

Mayhem

Hello,

I'm looking for a factory drawing or other drawings of a US Projectile, 5 inch HC, Mk 41 Mod 0 naval shell that includes detailed dimensions, particularly of the drive band.  I wish to draw up a 3D model, which I will then print. A Google search has failed to identify anything of sufficient quality.

Alternatively, if anyone has one of these shells and would be willing to take some pictures of the drive band and the nose/fuse pocket (with basic dimensions), I should be able to extrapolate the finer details. For example, if I have a nice shot showing the profile of the drive band and the overall width, I can work out the rest.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Darren

Why do you need that particular Mk. and Mod? There are a lot of 5 inch 38 projectiles, and they pretty much all have the same rotating band.

That is the projectile that i was asked to make. I'd be happy to look at any 5/38 projectile drawing if the drive band is the same.

The projectile in the drawing is a 5 inch 54 projectile. Sorry I assumed it was 5 inch 38.

sgdbdr - thank you. That is helpful, especially given the thread designations. The person I am doing this for has a fuze protector that he wishes to use. Whilst I could have measured this (I still will), this is good to have as a confirmatory reference.

HAZORD - thank you for the clarification. This isn't my particular area of interest, so I wasn't aware if the 5/54 and 5/38 shells had the same drive band. At present, it is the drive band that is the key detail that is eluding me.

I've added an image of a 105mm HE shell and M48 fuze that I printed. I still need to do the lettering.

105_print.jpg

Last edited:
Well, if your customer has a fuze protector cap, you will need the exact thread for it to screw on to, if that is what he wants to do.

Yes - that is straight forward. Drawing and printing the the threads is very easy. I've printed up a variety fuses for people, including 20mm Hispano fuses that are 5/8-32. They come off the printer and screw straight in. Non-standard threads such as that example need to be custom written and I usually print a simple test plug. I will do the same for his cap before printing the actual shell. The 105mm shell I showed is printed in three pieces and each one screws into the next. The fuze screws in as well.

That's amazing! I will take some measurements of a projectile for you. Does your customer have a fuze and fuze adapter to screw into it?

To be honest, I will have to check. I have spent such a long time looking for drawings that I cannot recall if he has a fuze. I'll draw up the shell so that a real fuze can screw in. If he doesn't have one I'll print one up. I know he doesn't have a fuze adaptor, so I'll have to draw one of those as well.

Last edited: