What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elsie Mines

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
So according to Lexpev site the Elsie mines were used by the UK. Did they have these mines, and what were their designations? I normally don't see the C designations are British. I would have thought they might have given it an L or No. nomenclature. Does anyone have the UK manual on these as well?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.lexpev.nl/minesandcharges/europe/unitedkingdom/apersdrillc3elsie.html[/FONT]

Joe

Theres a few additional posts on site about the Elsie just type the name Elsie in the search box

Joe,

The British designations were:

Mine, Anti-Personnel, Non-Metallic, C3
Mine, Anti-Personnel, Practice, Non-Metallic, C4

They are Canadian in origin - CnAn. Licence manufactured by the U.S. - M25.

TimG

UK stuck with Canadian C3 AP Mine designation because there was already an L3 Anti Tank Mine and it might have caused confusion.

Mine, Anti-Personnel, Practice, Non-Metallic, C4

so would this refer to the one marked 'DRILL C3', in British service, as show in the Lexpev link above (think I have this one)?

were all these in British service imported from Canada - exactly same as theirs - even down to markings (although designated differently in British forces' literature)?

Thanks everyone … I thought they might have kept the C designation, just wasn't sure about it.

Joe