What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Trench Mortar propulsion cartridges perhaps

charley777

20200406_081052.jpg20200406_093715.jpg

Hello
A question about these two cartridges

They are both cut down ( very professionally ) 75 x 350R Mle 1897 field gun cases.
Length 200mm.
They both have EF stamped over previous stamps..

My question ..... Are they Trench Mortar propulsion catridges ?

Thank you

Hello Charley777, your first case was made in 1909 (can't see the maker's mark) and had a pretty long life being annealed several times (see marks crossed on the right hand side twice ECP = Ecole Centrale de Pyrotechnie, cannot read the 3rd one, and the last time Ln standing for Parc d'Artillerie de Lyon), the second one was manufactured in Dives and was part of the 764th lot of 1915 and was annealed only once, in Lyon. They both ended their lives in a Ecole a Feu, hence the EF letters on the left, meaning they were used for practice, so no these weren't used as propulsion cartridges. What I don't know is if these "EF" cases were kept in their original length or cut down, and what I don't know either is what kind of loading they had. But I am sure someone will enlighten us. Frank