What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battye Grenade

peregrinvs

A partial fail here as I neglected to take any before or during photos. Ah well, it’s still something constructive to do in these days of enforced leisure.

This was one of my better purchases at Stoneleigh in January - being under £10. The dug casing had a thick coating of rust and concretion on it, but I had a hunch that the metal under the concretion was likely to be in good condition. It took a lot of time and effort to get it back to bare metal, but my hunch was largely correct and some of the segments have very little corrosion damage.

After that it was a matter of repairing some cracks with metal epoxy and tidying up the segments and grooves with a file and hacksaw. The original finish on Battye grenades seems to be a bit of a grey area, so I have gone with shellac. Lastly I made the wooden plug myself and the repro Nobels igniter came from a clever chap who sells them on eBay.

Now onto the rest of my restoration project backlog.

Attachments

• D4F14D35-7C50-41A6-A07D-FAEA6FAC60E4.jpg
    D4F14D35-7C50-41A6-A07D-FAEA6FAC60E4.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 65