What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: 14lbr HE

Listy

I've obtained a 14lbr HE round for a bombard. However, I need a bit of advice on how to get restoring, as its not something I have done before. The bomb is in a bit of a state. My long term aim is to get her fully restored, but that's a very long term aim. At the moment its the basic first steps like getting her cleaned up and unscrewing the tail tube, which is rusted shut.

I started with an old tooth brush and some soapy water. but it didn't seem to have any effect. I then upgraded to a stiff wire brush on a small patch. It seemed to turn the patch a khaki colour, and abrade the raised portions.

I'm seeking advice on what would be the next steps here? Am I overly worrying about the original paint (some of which is still in place), as its likely she'll need to be stripped down and sanded smooth anyhow?
Also how to deal with the rusted tail tube screwed in place? WD40 squirted onto the thread?

Thanks.

DSCF4149.jpgbombard 1.jpg

Hi,because the surface is quite scabby its going to be hard to save much paint. Oxyalic acid does work in rust removal whilst leaving surfaces untouched, i use it for getting rust off minerals, but it might destroy the concrete. Electryolysis is also very good at stabilising rust, but your still going to be left with a rough surface after. I would probably just sand off the loose and treat with a phosporic acid type primer. you could replicate the fins easily with basic metalworking tools or just straighten up whats left. Search the net for info on the above techniques. I assume this came off Ebay, as the seller has another,and has sold a few over the years, he lives near Poole and I expect these came from Canford heath which would explain the rust. Cheers Tig.

Hi,because the surface is quite scabby its going to be hard to save much paint. Oxyalic acid does work in rust removal whilst leaving surfaces untouched, i use it for getting rust off minerals, but it might destroy the concrete. Electryolysis is also very good at stabilising rust, but your still going to be left with a rough surface after. I would probably just sand off the loose and treat with a phosporic acid type primer. you could replicate the fins easily with basic metalworking tools or just straighten up whats left. Search the net for info on the above techniques. I assume this came off Ebay, as the seller has another,and has sold a few over the years, he lives near Poole and I expect these came from Canford heath which would explain the rust. Cheers Tig.

Yeah it was the Ebay one that came up recently. The fins are largely sturdy and intact, its just the drum tail that's gone. I was beginning to wonder if just sanding the entire thing down was where I was going to end up.
Any thoughts on unlocking the tail tube screw, or was I right on the idea of WD40 and patience?

I'm not sure how the tail removes, there are some posts on here about these, but im sure Roller 63 or Hangerman would know. Most british stuff is threaded witth a locking screw, so if so the screw would need to come out first. I would heat the bits but I have access to oxy acetylene. Deisel is the cheapest and best penetrant, but only really gets to the first thread or so if they are fitted with luting. Since you bought yours the price has gone up!