What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dummy ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I was sure that I asked for an ID on this item before but cannot find it. I've had this item for years but not sure what it is. Diameter is 38mm, length 104mm and it is marked DUMMY on the side. It is empty but the brass base disc will not unscrew and the hole is not threaded. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

20200418_153847(0)_resized.jpg20200418_153855(0)_resized.jpg20200418_153906_resized.jpg

US dummy for hand grenade Model 2. This was a hand grenade thrown by a cord fitting through the central hole in the base. Adopted in about 1911, out of service by 1917.

Attachments

• 1911 hand dummy mod 2.jpg
    1911 hand dummy mod 2.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 31
US dummy for hand grenade Model 2. This was a hand grenade thrown by a cord fitting through the central hole in the base. Adopted in about 1911, out of service by 1917.

So I assume "Babbitt" inert drill version

That's great information. Many thanks. Am I guessing right that these are not common?

I don't think they were a "Babbitt". That is a rifle grenade, but the manual doesn't acually give a name to the hand grenade, so some people call them Babbitt. But, yes thats the one...........