What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge Headstamp Identification

Eggburt1969

Any idea what cartridge this is and what gun it is fired from?

A view of the cartridge's base and its headstamps.

Unknown Cartridge Base Markings.jpg

A profile view of the cartridge before cleaning.

EV9C3qcXQAIRKaX.jpg

My research suggested it's for a pre-WWI-era French 100 mm Modèle 1891, Modèle 1892 or Modèle 1893 naval gun.

Please note that I have next to no data on French guns, even less on their naval guns.

It comes from a person whose wife’s Great Grandfather commanded HMS Scourge, a ship that served in the Gallipoli campaign.

Last edited:
You are correct, mod. 100m1891, 100m long Canet 1892, 100m1893. The later armed also the Charlemagne, Iéna and Suffren class ships. Headstamp is R = Trefilerie et Laminoirs du Havre à Rugles. Made in 1898.

Thank you Michel,

I'll pass on the extra bits to the person so they have a little more history about the item.

Neil

I have recently found a treasure trove belonging to my grandfathers and their brothers - a large case containing medals, memorabilia, bayonets and shell cases brought back from France and India.
Having failed to find a thread which gives details of the markings, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for some detailed info so I can identify the stamps ?
I have photographs which I am happy to post but some references would be very helpful.
Thanks

Hi,

Better to see the photographs of the markings, plus details of accurate dimensions of mouth and rim diameter and overall length, so that the nationality and maker can be ascertained. Then recommendations as to where to find further details can be given.

Regard,
Roger.