What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 chain bombs

ROBIN BIRD

Dad was with the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment, Helensburgh, during WW11. His briefing notes included experimental chain bombs. I believe these were 100 lb A/S bombers linked by chain so that they would wrap themselves around a submarine. Were such bombs deployed?

He may also have referred to these improvised high-frag bombs with "chains" (of barbed wire or ammo belt) wrapped around the body of a 100lb GP/ HE bomb:
bomb with a sting.jpgImprovise frag bomb.jpgImprovise frag bomb (1).jpg

to the best of my knowledge, in ww2, only the Japanese did use a tandem of bombs linked between them as air dropped and aircraft weapon - they even had 2 different designs:

17.jpg18.jpg

It would be highly interesting to get more details about these US experimental chain bombs.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback dreamk. Your second illustration looks more like the experimental chain bomb I am writing about. It was tested during May 44. The length of each chain was linked to he release so the bomb would not tangle with the chains. Don't know if it was used operationally.