What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martin Baker MK5 Mohawk Ejection seat

I found this treasure in a hangar that was scheduled for demolishing. I help the owner remove his Cessna 172 wings ( he could not fly it out), noticed this in the rafters. He gave it to me...been sitting there for 40 years. Best part- it's history was traceable due to the acft number on the seat...The OV-1D Mohawk crashed in Hanau Germany in 1972, both pilot and observer survived....the mystery is how it made it to its resting place in Palmetto, Ga, USA. I have the surviving crew names but unable to track them down. The Mohawk association records the mishap noting the last two ejections on record resulted in crew deaths ( these were 90/90 seats- must be 90 knots and 90 feet to successfully operate) interestingly shortly after this early seat model was re designed with rocket assist making this a " one of a kind". It is now my shop chair....and it really is ordnance related...this chair was blown upwards by explosive charge, and the drogue chute was fired upwards by the drogue cannon....all mechanically activated by levers and mechanisms. Missing the original seat bottom, but I was told they were rock hard, better I made a soft bottom. Parts missing are obvious, drogue chute, seat chute, pilot chute, O2 bottle, anything that was made to seperate when ejected. Some sheetmetal web damage ( still full of dirt) on the corner were it fell to the ground but I will leave as is due to its historical relevance. Now the hardest part, convincing the evil princess to move it into the living room, she has no idea it's worth much more than her piano she hasn't played in ten years.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg