What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minenwerfer base

Burney Davis

Premium Member
The picture below is of the base of a Light Minenwerfer (76mm LWM), but which model? I've not seen this type previously. Any help appreciated.

20200423_113851_resized.jpg20200423_113900_resized.jpg

Hi Darrel,

I flick the photos across to a mate that collects them - here's is reply:

"its the bottom part of the venturi missing cover and primer mount and base of shell body probably a gas to signal shell - it's the first time I seen two piece venturi and you have bottom half" (76mm) - unable to tell which model"
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Cheers
Drew[/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]

Nothing mentioned about 6-hole versions in the book 'Notes on German Shells' from 1918. It does mention that the original 4-hole design was replaced with an 8-hole version. This possibly as there was the potential for large differential pressures to built-up (probably pressure oscillations too) that could cause in-bore prematures. Maybe the 6-hole was an interim design between the four and the eight-hole, or it was cheaper to make (quicker to machine)?

Hello,
4, 8 then 6 holes for l.Spr.m 7.6.
Grrr, I know this item but I can't remember when I saw it and what it is...
It makes no sense for a propellant base because holes coud be on both part !!
Regards

7.6.jpg

I've seen this before as well, and I am pretty sure it's got nothing to do with a 76mm LWM, would it be possible to have the measurements of the item? I'll say something silly may be but sort of rings a bell as an internal part of a grenade?

Thanks to all so far.

I have added pictures of the standard bases from 76mm projectiles that I have which show the differences.

20200428_102942_resized (2).jpg20200428_103001_resized.jpg20200428_103015_resized.jpg

In the past I have offered this unknown piece up to the base of theses projectiles and I have and assumed it was for a different model, as it looks like the same size to the eye. Upon measuring the 76mms that I have they all come up nearer to 75mm and the unknown piece outside diameter is 72mm. The original paint is an almost exact colour match for the German colour used but the thread is obviously different, being much finer.

20200428_103108_resized.jpg

And in this picture some of the marks can be seen.

20200428_103001_resized (2).jpg

Now I'm not so sure this is German, let alone being for the minenwerfer! It is so easy to make assumptions when time is short. And I had thought someone would immediately recognize what it is. So hopefully these pictures and additional information might help the identification.

Thanks again.