What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theft of cannon balls

But seriously now, it's quite annoying when you have to weld these things together and to a heavy ground anchor to prevent them from being stolen.:tinysmile_angry2_t: I hope the stuff gets found and returned.
Checking scrapyards -as sugested on facebook- sounds a bit useless to me as the price you get for it is not even worth transporting them to the scrapyard for. Every scrap dealer knows it's not steel but so called "pig iron".
We have the same problem in the Netherlands with bronze statues. they disappear from museums and village squares to be found back cut to pieces at scrap yards. Often unique and irriplacable pieces of famous artists that have passed away so it cannot be replaced. Copper and lead is quite popular too. Lightning deflectors and roof cladding dissaper from buildings during renovation and even the copper wire of train safety signals was stolen.
By now, when you deliver scrap metal at an average scrap yard in the Netherlands, it is noted on paper what -and how much- you sell and a copy of your driving licence is made.

Last edited:
Over here any non ferrous scarp has to be held by the dealer for i think 2 weeks before disposal. A couple of Grumman Avenger aircraft wings 'borrowed' from an open air museum were recovered years ago due to the disposal delay.

Over here any non ferrous scarp has to be held by the dealer for i think 2 weeks before disposal. A couple of Grumman Avenger aircraft wings 'borrowed' from an open air museum were recovered years ago due to the disposal delay.

Amazing - That's a really heavy load. Hardly the stuff you put on the roof rack.

Last year the beautiful, artists bronzecasting cross, that was fastened on the top of the tombstone on my parents grave, was stolen from the graveyard where it had been for 40 years. These are crimes that were unheard of, even a few years ago. We did not even report the theft to the police, because they have loads of more important work to do. But, things like that really hurt.