What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hungarian AZ 58 A/T grenade

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
just bought the prac version - am I right in thinking that the prac is designated the AZ 58-K100, or is this the full title of the live weapon of which this is prac version? also, was this (the bare metal finish prac w/drogue) actually for throwing practice - as I've seen a wooden version exists for this purpose, or was it a 'drill' model for classroom use?

the site from which I bought it labels item ...AZ 58 'House Killer' - was AZ 58 actually known as this (informally at least) as I've never seen this sobriquet used anywhere else in relation to AZ 58 (it being an A/T gren, not for perhaps destroying buildings or even those inside them)?

re diagram below, does the deployment of drogue in the air actually arm the grenade, or is it armed with the movement of the creep spring after pin is removed? diagram may be of US XM-78 but looks identical to AZ 58 so assume they work in same way - not sure who copied whose design??

nEwPS3B.jpg

Last edited:
The grenade is impact activated and is ready upon flick off of the handle, the chute doesn’t arm it. Simple impact action.
they have an “Anti Material” nature, although primarily designed as AT.

thanks for replies guys...

they have an “Anti Material” nature...

when I think of 'anti material', I think of charges/ammo used to dispose of UXO etc - is this what you mean this gren was used for (in addition to A/T role), or do you mean against buildings? unsure if an A/T gren would have penetrating power for use against bunkers/pillboxes??

Also used by the former DDR

think I've seen them in a DDR manual... were those the DDR used the same Hungarian-manufactured ones as used by Hungary, or did the DDR manufacture them too, with unique markings etc? if they used same live grens, assume they used same prac ones too?

saw the wooden training grens listed by seller on ebay.de recently but can't find them again now (don't think title of listing used actual designation or 'grenade' in either English or German...) - has anyone seen them/have link??

GDR had imported these grenades from Hungary. As for the anti-material role: Some documents from the GDR state that the granade may also be used against field fortifications.

DSC_0562.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, so I guess effective only against wooden structures rather than concrete? was anti-material role ascribed by DDR only, or were the originally indicated for that in addition to A/T? also, how were these carried? was there a special bag etc?