What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BE smoke shell base?

Stuka

Hiya,

At the beginning of this year I made a small metal detecting trip to the Belgian Ardennes.
Not a lot of interesting finds, except for this 'thing', which reminds me of the steel base for a BE smoke shell, or maybe a base plate for a HE shell?
Luckily, there are still some markings visible, however these don't really help me in identifying this thing.
Maybe some of you can help me?

Thomas.

b1.jpg b4.jpg

b2.jpg b5.jpg

b3.jpg

b6.jpg

Hi Thomas, a central hole does not fit with a base plate for a HE shell - the reason for a base plate for a HE shell is so that propellant gases cannot follow the `grain' of the steel and propagate the HE filling when the shell is fired. The only BE shell that I am familiar with is the 25 Pr - the base plates were machined with two shallow holes to enable use of a tool to screw the base plate onto the shell. UK 105 mm Fd may have been similar but I never saw any of those. Is your piece of metal threaded around the edge? A central hole would indicate to me the presence of a tracer. Is the hole internally threaded?

Thanks for your reply, I already had a thought about my HE base plate hypothesis last night, and I came to the same conclusion as it would be quite useless to mark a base plate on both sides when you won't see one side ever again. So it was probably more or less removable I think.

I can't make out any threading around the edge:
bp1.jpg

The central hole is threaded:
bp2.jpg

It measures 12.7cm/5" in diameter and 2.54cm/1" in thickness,
A BE shell base is just the first thing that came to my mind due to its circular shape.
Also, it's not really flat but a bit bulged, probably deformed by an explosion.

This summer I returned to the same spot and luckily I found another part.
Now I've cleaned all the rust and crud off, but I still don't have a clue...
It is just a hollow tube without any markings, a driving band or other giveaways as to what it may have been, apart from the exploded end.
Any thoughts?

The length is roughly 16"/41cm and the diameter 5,5"/14cm.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg
Base fits exactly.

pic5.jpg
The edge is folded to secure the base.

It might be the canister that contains an illuminating candle and parachute inside an illuminating projectile. They have a hole in the middle to let the flame from the expulsion charge light the candle upon ejection.

The metal of the tube looks too thin to be the wall of an artillery shell - it simply would not withstand firing stresses. so then you're left with possibilities of it being an internal component of a shell or part of something else, such as a mortar (much lower firing stresses than an artillery shell), or something completely different. Not so sure of Hazord's suggestion - the way the metal is damaged isn't consistent with a store designed to eject a parachute flare - a bit too much explosive overkill. Let's hope someone can identify it, it would be interesting to know what it is.

The metal of the tube looks too thin to be the wall of an artillery shell
Indeed, and it is also lacking a driving band, unless that would have been the exploded part. So my thoughts went to a rocket of some kind as well.

Let's hope someone can identify it, it would be interesting to know what it is.
After asking a few friends, I got some clue:
It seems to be a section of a 15cm Nebelwerfer rocket. These were widely used in the Ardennes, thin walled, diameter is around 5,5"...
Unfortunaly, I don't own a Nebelwerfer rocket to check it, but it sure looks like the green motor part in this image. Also fits in with the exploded side of the thing.
nebelw1.jpg