What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.5" DCT Box.

ron3350

Here is a box for CTGS ML 9.5 DCT MK 12.
It looks British but has a Sydney (SYD) sticker so used by Australia. Box is stamped : C.170. H&S 1942.
I am interested in all information about the box markings. BP is noted as case maker and filler?
Case holds two layers of 5 cartridges. 40 x 157R (2Pr Vickers). What sort of wad would be in the mouth?

I also show three Australian cases for DCT and 2Pr gun use. The No 13 11N primer may not be correct as No12 Mk3 primers shown on this box.

9.5" DCT A.jpeg9.5" DCT B.jpeg9.5" DCT C.jpeg9.5" DCT D.jpeg9.5" DCT E.jpegMF 1933.jpegMF 1933 A.jpegMF 1941.jpeg

The primer was made by HBA (I need to look this up) in 1942
Filled by PHD - RNAD Priddy's Hard, Gosport, Hampshire, England. (Royal Navy Armaments Depot).

The case is shown as being made by BP - RNAD Bull Point, Plymouth, Devon, England in 1943. Bull Point didn't have the facilities to make cases and I suspect this entry means that the cases had already been used and were refurbished by them.

The contents were examined in Sydney, Australia in 1953. The box was resealed with the Sydney (SYD) station label.

TimG

I've been unable to ascertain the identity of HBA.

Upon closer examination I see the Station label is "SYD (N)" and the box is marked "SYD (H)" There were numerous RAN Armament Depots and Sub-Depots in the Sydney area and it would be necessary to differentiate between them, hence the suffixes.
SYD (H) is more than likely RAN AD Homebush, which was a sub-depot to RAN AD Newington. SYD (N) is more than likely RAN AD Newington.

TimG