What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 18 Pdr headstamp marks?

Darkman

I have a fair clue on many of the stamps found on 18 pounders, but here are a couple I'm not sure about.
This case was made by Scovill as a subcontractor to BSC and it's had mouth splits brazed up once, but perhaps not the second time, which may have condemned this case. But the repair stamps I'm not sure of are the U in a circle with punch mark, and the cross in a circle. Also who is the repair contractor NWN?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• 18 pdr headstamp Ua.jpg
    18 pdr headstamp Ua.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 18 pdr headstamp U -2a.jpg
    18 pdr headstamp U -2a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 18 pdr headstamp cross a.jpg
    18 pdr headstamp cross a.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 40
The encircled 'U' denotes that the case was not annealed on repair.
The punch dab denotes there are rectifiable defects, although it should be in the proximity of the calibre.
Does the case have a split? The brazing stamp (second) hasn't been barred out.
I note that although the case has been filled twice, it appears the second 'F' has been barred out, denoting the cartridge was broken down before it could be fired.
Sorry, I can't assist with the identity of NWN.

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks so much Tim!

I had a look for this case to check if it had a mouth split, but couldn't find it. I have so many 18 pdr cases and it may not even be a photo of one of mine anyway, just from my photo files. That was my reading of the mark also - that the crack or split remained unrepaired. Interesting about the F being barred out or cancelled.

The U in a circle stamp would seem to be superfluous. A stamp to indicate that something wasn't done - wouldn't this be indicated just by the lack of an A stamp?

Do you know what the cross in a circle stamp signifies? I have this stamp on many cases and it's not listed in any reference book I have.

Thanks,

Graeme