What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pr super box

25-pr cartridges were filled, in three portions, to Normal Charge with 1lb 10oz - 1lb 12oz (approx.) propellant, depending on propellant type; filled three portions to Super Charge with 2lb 9oz - 2lb 12oz (approx.) again depending on type of propellant.

25Pr Super Charge a.jpeg25Pr Super Charge B.jpegMay I add to Snufkin's reply.
The Super charge is not adjustable and has a cup sealed with shellac in the mouth.
It is used for long range or with an extra increment in the cup for the 20Lb AP Shot.
I show an Australian case and the mouth where the shellac remains can be seen.

The cartridges were either Normal or Super.

Normal Charges - were adjustable - by removing the closing cup and removing some of the charges

1st portion (red bag) = 1st charge
2nd portion (white bag)
2nd charge = red + white
3rd portion (blue bag)
3rd charge = red + white + blue

This wasn't possible on the Super Charge, however if using the 20lb AP shot, there was a Super Charge Increment that could be added, being placed in the mouth of the cartridge closing cup.

The box to the top left of photo' 1 is very interesting.

TimG

The Super is a single bundle of propellant, definitely not in portions (Malfunction, no idea why I put three portions earlier in post #2...)

Image from 1940 25-pr Handbook.

Attachments

• Super.jpg
    Super.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: