What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German fragmentation bomb

Cjbobrow

From the collection at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.

There is a small German fragmentation bomb (WW1) that was on display but has been returned to storage awaiting the new gallery display. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

NASM-A19900126000_02.jpg

Hello,
Are you sure this bomb is German ?
Never seen such a bomb in German service.
General shape makes me thought to an Italian or Russian origin.
Regards

Looks like a Russian AO-2,5 series

Attachments

• AO-2,5 series.jpg
    AO-2,5 series.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 32
Well, The nose of this bomb is rounded - the nose of the various AO 2,5 was truncated conical.
I think this is in fact a 12kg Italian bomb - the "Bomba de 12 Mtr" smooth body version (there was a more common annular frag version). This bomb was typically used by the Ro37 recco-bomber in Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War (called by the Spanish "Bomba Torpedina de 12kg" where this ring attached.and in North Africa.
The 12 Mtr had a small stabilizing ring at the rear tip of the fins and by looking carefully at the photo posted by Cjbobrow, we can see indentations that may correspond to this ring's attachment.
The definitive answer will obviously come from the dimensions of the bomb.
I'll try to find a p[hoto of thsi bomb in my files. Meanwhile here's a drawing of it.

Bomba de 12 Mitr Annotation 2020-05-05 234326.jpg