What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this unusual WW2 cartridge ? 23.5x115SR

charley777

20200505_153711.jpg20200505_153801.jpg20200505_153607.jpg

Greetings.
This cartridge shown next to a 20x119 Madsen for comparison is unusual (to me).
It is 23.5 mm inside neck and 115 mm long.
It is semi-rimmed with a diameter of 28.2 mm
So 23.5x115SR x28.2

Inside the neck it is straight sided ...possibly machined?
There is a seperate chamber that starts 83 mm below the top with a central hole about 4 mm connecting the two sections.
Rather like a high/low pressure chamber perhaps.

I imagine it to be some sort of auxilliary cartridge.
Very keen to know more about it.
Thanks very much for your insights and knowledge
Charley

It looks like a French Ruggieri 25x100R Flare case as the rim and headstamps match.
I wonder if it is a cut-off brass tube from the chennille flares that is inserted in the mouth?
This would have a felt wad at the base.

OK thank you
I did wonder about a flare case...
The base certainly looks identical.
Of course my specimen is 15mm longer but flare cases often come in a variety of lengths.
Chenille means caterpillar if my rusty French is reliable.
Is that plausible?

Aha i was too quick to answer... oops
And now i understand your meaning
I will take it to the workshop in the morning and see if that is a seperate and removable part.

No need to pull the extension. I just checked Horst Thielborger book on flares and these short extension cases exist in red, white & green flares.My German is very poor.
Length is 115mm overall. I have never found one of these flares so it looks original.

OK thanks Ron
I will leave it alone and not interfere then.
I have quite a few flare cases so i will see about finding that book.... sounds interesting