What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 36M Mk1, Manufacturer HELP needed

Zorro

No. 36M Mk1, Manufacturer HELP needed

Hello friends, I am quite new on the matter of collecting Mills Grenades and would be glad if You could support with the identification of the manufacturers of Grenade-Body, but also Lever.

1-8 - Inner Tube, REDMARKED.jpg1-9.jpg1-11.jpg1-12.jpg1-13 D.H.S. marked Lever.jpg1-14a Yellow Inside Lever.jpg1-14b Yellow under Lever.jpg1-0a Marker picture 1.jpg1-0b Marker picture 2.jpg1-1 FRONT.jpg1-2 REAR.jpg1-3 LEFT Side.jpg1-4 RIGHT Side.jpg1-5 Filler Plug.jpg1-6 Bottom Screw.jpg1-7 Bottom Screw.jpg1-10.jpg

GRENADE-Body:
No markings on the frontside – where most others are marked. Only marking in the grenade body is between the grenade-shoulders (ears) at the spot where the lever rests on.

marked as follows: not clear readable - either a large letter C or G, it could maybe also be an letter E or P inside the Letter C
see photos 1-0a and also photo 1-0b

LEVER:
marked with the signs: D.H.S.
see photo -13

FILLER-SCREW:
marked as follows: Z for Zinc right from it the letters WD over a letter C, at the upper half of the screw
in the lower half of the screw, only the Arrow-stamp
see photo 1-5

BASE-SCREW:
marked as follows: Upper Line: No. 36M Mk1
Center/inside tool-cutout: S I (on left) and 7 (standing on head, on right)
see photo 1-6 and photo 1-7

INNER TUBE:
marked as follows: 19 – 43 and Z for Zinc and a flat Hexagon with a laying S inside
see photo 1-8 and photo 1-8 redmarked

NOTE:
Item seems tob e in original condition and has as on the lower inside of the lever – but also on the corresponding spot on the grenade body YELLOW PAINT-Remains. Does this have any known backround, did You ever note this on other Mills-specimen too? The Yellow paint is only at this spots but at no other spot of the item.
see photo 1-14a and photo 1-14b

Thank You in Advance for Your help.
Kind regards,
Ralf

ALL items shown are 100% INERT and FFE

The centre tube was made by Schultze Die Casting of Canada.
The filler plug was made by Wolverhampton Die Casting, England.
The base plug was made by Archibald Kenrick & Sons of West Bromwich
The lever was made by David Hollander & Sons - 124-128 Barr Street, Birmingham.

TimG

Seems to be a bit of a bitsa, ie made up from different parts. Usually Canadian filler plugs are sealed with red sealant paste and marked in yellow on the top with the same yellow marking on the ears or other body area, most probably a filling stamp. Canadian levers are stamped chatcoo in two variations but that depends where the grenade is manufactured etc.

Last edited:
Hello TimG, Hello BMG50,

thank You both very much for Your helping identifications and the notes on the colour-markings / sealant.

Unfortunatly I cannot tell anything on this specimen since I bought this in an auction, so You maybe most recently right with the patch-working.

What would be Your suggest on the gren.body itself and the (unsual way of?) marking.

I must honestly confess that - up to now I was before never so much aware in the Mills-Details and having as specimen copy one pc. of No.5 one No.23 and one No.36 was good to me.
(shame on me :angel: ).

But since I got now a bundle of 4 specimen (luckily one from South-Africa / one from Australia / one Canadian and one British - made, - but all only good body and center tube - rest missing or one or wrecked filler-plugs...) plus this one here, I really got infected by the "Mills-Fever", and had been much reading and learning here at BOCN.

For me it would be very interesting how to catch up the best. Part-Hunting did start already and first success is there with having all except South-African with a matching base-plug.

Thank You.

Cheers,
Ralf