What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US/NATO version of Russian 57mm?

94thFS95

Premium Member
I purchased this cartridge case not knowing what it was, and can’t seem to find examples of it. It appears to be just like the Russian 57x 347mm, but it has US or NATO ink on it. And it says break-up? Can anyone shed light on this case, and what projectile/s it uses? Anyone have a complete one?
-Steve
8DE0D91C-D784-41ED-8F16-C12F11325927.jpg6B63E9DD-28A5-4A97-A910-C52BC19914CE.jpg

Interesting, I am bussy with the cutaway models of the HE and AP version of these, I did not know a western version with a break-up projectile existed.
Regards, DJH

Well the Chinese have their version of the 57x348SR for the Type 59 AA.
I have a complete (inert) round with a green steel case.
And it also had (or has) use in some Eastern European countries.
But your case is very interesting indeed.
Sorry.. can shed no light on your case

Looking at that case, I don't get the feeling that it's U.S. It does have U.S. style numbers, but it really doesn't have U.S. style markings.

The markings on the base of the case are Russian. See annotated image below

Annotated 57×348SR cartridge base markings.jpg

As to who stencilled the case with English (Latin script) markings and loaded it with a break-up shot, I don't know.

Last edited:
The markings on the base of the case are Russian. See annotated image below

View attachment 160727

As to who stencilled the case with English (Latin script) markings and loaded it with a break-up shot, I don't know.

That should be a KV-5U (КВ-5У) primer, I must have been half asleep like I am now.

I also can't see any plus (+) signs (previously a dot) on the base. The number of which denotes the number of times that the case has been reloaded.

Maybe this can be figured out by what it says. The lot number inked on is LS-1-2. Does that method of numbering or the LS mean any thing to anyone? Does some known depot or plant use the LS lot prefix?
What would an example of a break up projectile of this size look like? I don’t have any over 20mm.
Thanks,
-Steve

Could be be an example of non-standard ammunition purchased by the U.S. Military.

Such as: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/atk-in-motion-foreign-weapons-procurement/

Description that goes with the ammunition photo shown in the above article:

Examples of some of the non-typical (for U.S. suppliers) ammunition that ATK has had available to supply in the newly awarded Afghan supply contract. Left to Right: 57x348mm HE round for self-propelled AA gun S/60 and S/68, 40x365mm HE for L/70 Bofors AA machine cannon, 37x252mm for 37mm AA gun M39 (SU), 30x220 mm HE for 30mm 30/2 M53, M53/59 machine cannons, 30x165mm TP-T for 30mm 2A72, 2A42, and 2A38M machine cannon, 30mm M93P1 green colored HE and M93TP white practice round for BGA-30 (AGS-17/30) Automatic Grenade Machine gun, 20x110RB Oerlikon ammunition- HEIT, 20x110mm Hispano cannon ammunition, 20x110 Hispano AP-I, VOG-25 HE – Frag M03 grenade for the BGP-40 (GP-25/30) underbarrel Russian style front loading 40mm grenade launchers. (Photo by Dan Shea, courtesy Sloboda Mfg, Ĉaĉak, Serbia)

Last edited:
That makes an awful lot of sense, considering one of the rounds in the picture is essentially the same case... so if this one wasn’t from the ATK contract mentioned, it could well be from some other similar contract. I’d still love to see the projectile.

quite surprised to see 20x110mm oerlikon and hispano rounds,who is still using these rounds?

Those old Oerlikons are so rugged I expect they just keep on going forever. They may not be high-tech but for their purpose that is not needed. And you can still buy newly-made HS 804 guns in 20 x 110 from AEI Systems.