What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.3cm gruson

53x176R Gruson A.jpeg53x176R B.jpg53x176R C.jpeg53x176R D.jpegI show my 5.3cm Gruson which is not shown in the diagrams and may be an earlier type or Practice?
It has the same drive band and an unpainted section near the nose. Flat base.
The fuze is only a plug and when removed shows only a blind hole in a solid projectile.
The projectile is 158mm long and weighs 2423 grams (5lb.5.4oz).

Last edited:
Fuze Removed.jpegFuze A.jpegFuze B.jpegThe projectile has no ID stamps and is 157.5mm measured with a vernier so just manufacturing tolerances?

The hole is 12.5mm diameter and 14mm deep with no threads and shows the drill tip bevel.
The fuze has no threads and shows rough tooling marks and spike where it was parted.
The screw will not unscrew.

Just a thought, unfinished, rejected, or presentation shell.
I assume too heavy for a practice round.

I think this is a well made replica projectile. Everything is very crisp and there are no markings on it. If it was this fresh and an original markings would be visible.

Thank you all for the comments. I got this shell 40 years ago and it is heavy and looks new inside. I had to break a black glue seal to undo the fuze or plug which certainly looked original.
I also have a 37mm Gruson that looks similar and also has no markings but is an explosive projectile. Real fuze, detonator holder and hole where the powder was emptied.
I do not consider no markings as an ID for a reproduction but it does seem correct for my 53mm shell. Ron.