What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRENCH 155mm HE..Holes in base???

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_5317.jpgIMG_5318.jpgHello,

I was recently offered a nice French 155mm HE shell, (not sure which model off the top of my head), but it stood around 18" tall with a drive band around 3/4 "wide, with gently curved ogive radius. Not boat tailed either.
What caused me to step back was the 4 holes in the base. They were around 7-8mm diameter and didn't appear to have been threaded. The odd thing was they looked to have been linked together in the shell base (see images) although I can't be sure.

My question is, should these holes be there? Am I missing something? My first thought were that perhaps it had been mounted onto something as a display piece, memorial, etc.
Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture, hence the poor illustrations....

The rest of the shell was fine. I was always under the impression that any hole or fissure in the base of a shell was a no go, so any pointers or help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
did the base appear removable? my 9.2 inch (while it is british) has similar indentations, or holes, in the base for a tool to fit into it to remove the base for filling. Only thing i can think of. I'd get pics but its a bit heavy, ill search to see if i have a old picture in the meantime

I agree Minenaz, 155mm Mle 1877 à balles

Yoda

Attachments

• FRA 155mm Mle 1877-02.jpg
    FRA 155mm Mle 1877-02.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 36
  • FRA 155mm Mle 1877-01.jpg
    FRA 155mm Mle 1877-01.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 43
Many thanks to all, much appreciated!

frijoles108: Many thanks for your help. I have a few 9.2"s with similar holes for screwing the base in (would love to find the 'key' for one of these shells....):tinysmile_grin_t:
MINENAZ16: Many thanks for the link. The shell I refer to is the one illustrated in the link, that's for sure, so it all makes sense. Great link, very comprehensive so thank you.
yodamaster: Many thanks also for your help, and the reference to the 155mm shrapnel. Seems the holes were a common thing then. I wonder when they were phased out?

Cheers!