What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 26.5mm Flares

Shell Shifter

Hi all. Picked up some German 26.5mm flares. They look to me like 4 ball while flares, pretty vanilla but they are headstamped 98 so a lot newer than the Czech material. Anything to add/correct?

Thanks and stay well

Ed

IMG_0511.jpgIMG_0510.jpg

flare german.jpgHere is a sample of the latest batch sold by Numrich. They had a variety at one point(a couple years ago) but this is the last of their offerings. Yours probably came from their earlier grouping that was more popular with the flare folks.

IMG_1114.jpg IMG_0881.jpg Let me know if you're looking for some different ones.

Just do not shoot the PS-Nh and the PS-T-Cv from a flare gun.
Technically the thicker rim should prevent them from loading, but...(add your own reason to make bad decision)
:)

Hi @Slick,
the original cartons contain 10 rounds, as in the above fotos. 235,- $ is an awful lots of money for some outdated rounds. Most of these get destroyed by burning here in Germany. The companies that have a certified oven make a lots, lots of money with burning pyro. About 30 years ago I saw outdated flares being sold in the US. I told the seller that in germany all this good stuff is burned. He offerd to pick up the stuff for free, anywhere in Germany. His company had all the requisite licences. When I returned to Germany I contacted Nico,the owner of one of the ovens in Germany at that time. I was told that not one piece would go out, that the oven had to run full time, because it made so much money. This outdated pyro does not cost any money,you can charge for taking it, but the transport to the US will not be little. By the way, these rounds were produced in a beautiful valley in the Harz mountains of the eastern part of Germany in a village called Uftrungen. After german reunification the company Buck bought this factory and called themselfes "Deutsche Pyrotechnische Fabriken"=DPF , a name that was used already in WW2. Buck went bankrupt some years later and the factory was closed.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
$235.00 per box of 30. + shipping. Which probably includes A HAZMAT fee.

Per Nabob's warning, the rims on the PS-Nh and the PS-T-Cv are designed to pretty much prevent being chambered in your average flare pistol. I never tried to chamber one but suspect it will not allow closure of the action.

flare a4.jpg flare a3.jpg
I do have a previously mentioned BRNO RV85 "riot" gun, but it's NIB and I don't want to waste a round and dirty it all up. And flares are VERY dirty, and corrosive. I use an old/cheap/previously abused Polish pistol for shooting the regular flares and then dose it down with REMOIL when finished. Rust starts forming almost immediately.

As to Bellifortis' comments, I agree, very expensive. Long ago and far far away, one could get a box of 10 Czech flares for $20-30. Parachute flares were
$45/10 !!!!!! Made for expensive fireworks but I did acquire them as they were available.
Got a few of those left, but used only on special occasions, or to light a bonfire.

flare a1.jpg

Sadly, it appears the Czech flares are no longer imported. Everyone that has them listed have shown "SOLD OUT" for years now. The German ones were the latest import but they, too, are drying up. And @$8/pop, not worth it. Regular fireworks are much less expensive.

And lastly, as for collecting, they are not long lived. Have a few that are doing this:

flare a2.jpg That right there sucks.

Last edited:
Hi Slick,
if the rounds have been stored in their original packing and kept dry, they will last 25 or more years. But, stored wrong, especially the Yellow ones, than that happens what can be seen in your last foto. The factory only garanties full function 3-5 years in good storage from the date of manufacture. Here in Germany those rounds are very seldom offered, because you can purchase those only with an "Ammunition Collectors Licence", so the market is very small. The other thing is, that I don't know if the military still use these Pyro-signals. Already years ago, 1000s of the most modern "Heckler & Koch Signal Pistol" were sold off for 25 $ as complete sets with holster, cleaning rod a.s.o. So that looks as if the military doesn't need pyrosignals any more.

Last edited:
The first INMEP conference in Czech Republik we had a go with.
By the way Jeff misted the target. :bigsmile:

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Jeff Osborne in tjech.JPG
    Jeff Osborne in tjech.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 18
Only about 3000 RV-85 were manufactured, so it is Forgotten Weapons materiel.
The old surplus flares are no longer sold by the army so this source has dryed up. They now become collectibles.
Bob