What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czech 100mm PCvSv

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I understand this shell is for practice, is it right ?
Very strange, two fuzes, filled TNT, painted green...
Seems to be dangerous for a "practice shell".
Regards

c3782_0.jpgpcvsv-001.jpg

Hello,
I understand this shell is for practice, is it right ?
Very strange, two fuzes, filled TNT, painted green...
Seems to be dangerous for a "practice shell".
Regards

I think its shape and propellant charge mass gives it away. It emulates a full calibre 100 mm AP-T, APC-T, APCBC-T HE-filled projectile (shell, not shot), so a 53-BR-412, 53-BR-412B, 53-BR-412D, etc..

The APHE-T projectiles would normally have very long safety traces, plus their fuzes may not operate correctly (unreliable) on direct impacts with soft targets, or grazing impacts.

As such, and as far as I can tell from a Czech document I found, this round was developed to make practice safer and easier, so shorter safety traces and fewer, if any, blinds.

As stated, the projectile has two fuzes, nose (az-75) and base (dz-75), both self-destruct (2300-3700 m). So the chances of a blind are rare. The projectile is lighter than the normal APHE too, so also lowering the range if a blind occurs.

On detonation, the shell is blown to bits, with very few large fragments. No whole front parts of the APHE projectile whizzing off in the distance.

The fuzes have double inertia initiation system each, so the chance of a dud was limited as possible.
First rounds were equipped with nz16 (point detonating / self destruct) fuzes. The impact function was dropped because it destroyed the targets. The nz 16 fuze is extremely rare and was manufactured only in 1961-1962.

Bob