Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 971 Posts

Mine Shrapnel MKIC infos

Hello,
    I'm looking for a diagram and a picture of British AP shrapnel mine MK I C.
    Regards

mkIC.jpg
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I believe the difference is that the Mk1 has a short lever pocket and the later version is much longer for the longer lever that is a cast pocket right to the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BMG50; 21st May 2020 at 09:47 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BMG50 For This Useful Post:

AE501 (22nd May 2020), HAZORD (21st May 2020)

Thanks
    Hallo,
    in the past a Mk 2 model was shown here on BOCN that was painted yellow with a wide green ring in the lower and a narrow red ring in the upper part. Also a sectioned Mk 1 was shown with the same colours. I have seen a Mk 2 which was painted black outside with a yellow band in the middle. Can somebody please explain these differing colouring shemes ?
    Regards,
    Bellifortis.

Thanks
    The main difference between the mine marks is the removal of the piece of Fuze Instantaneous Mk 4 crimped into the Detonator No.27 of the Detonator Mine Mk 1, thereby creating the Detonator Mine Mk 2.

Fuze Instantaneous Mk4 burns at a nominal rate of 90 feet per second, but accurately cutting such a short lengths gives rise to varied burning times affecting operating height.

Removing the Fuze Inst. and fitting the priming cap directly onto the Det No 27 means the height of operation is solely controlled by the fly off lever and the length of the lever channel

The Mine Shrapnel Mark 1 was modified to Mark 1c standard by fitting the Detonator Mine Mk 2, so the longer lever of the Mine Mk2 was fitted and a tin plate channel was fitted to the side of the mortar to take the longer lever.

The Mine Mk2 mortar is produced with the longer lever channel cast with the mortar body.

The Mine Mks 1 and 1c had a leather lifting thong handle but the Mine Mk2 has a twisted metal handle.

The black bodied mine with a yellow band round the middle is a drill mine for use at mine lying training, at that time.
    Last edited by AE501; 22nd May 2020 at 02:08 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AE501 For This Useful Post:

Bellifortis (22nd May 2020), MINENAZ16 (22nd May 2020), switch (22nd May 2020)

Thanks
    MINENAZ16 the only visible external difference between the Mine Mk1c and the Mk2 would be the obvious addition of the tin plate extension to the mortar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AE501 For This Useful Post:

MINENAZ16 (22nd May 2020)