What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 155mm Mle 1914 shell adaptor??

starshell

Premium Member
Hello all,

I have a French 155mm Mle 1914 HE shell with an adaptor fitted (removeable) which I don't think is correct for the shell. The threaded socket for it measures 40mm.
The info I have on French ordnance sugests a gaine relais (g.r.) type A should be used for this piece as in the images attached.

All well and good so far, but I don't have a g.r Type A, so have this odd adaptor fitted for now.
Thing is, although it fits ok, I can't find any info on what type of adaptor this is, and also whether this shell would have had these fitted at any time during the Great war as well as type A's.

Any help would be much appreciated The other 155 I have has what looks like a Type C, but also with a 40mm socket??? Am I missing something?
Both shells are identical models. I thought these models only had Type A's fitted, nothing else?

Many thanks in advance!
IMG_5417.jpgIMG_5419.jpgIMG_5416.jpgIMG_5415.jpgIMG_5412.jpgIMG_5414.jpgIMG_5413.jpg

Hello,
The french 155mm you show is a model 1915 FA ("Font Aciérée").
Usually fitted with "gaine" model 1915 40mm/55mm A or A2 (flat).
A same shell was made in steel (model 1915B) fitted with gaine 63mm/73mm 1915C (source of confusions...)
Regards

155mm model 1915 FA :
40 55 french gaine for 155mm.jpgfrench 155 FA.jpg

Last edited:
Hi MINENAZ16,

Many thanks for the information, it all makes sense now.

The other 155mm shell I have has the Type A 40mm/55mm gaine fitted (which confused me as I was thinking it maybe a Type C), but that is right for the shell I see now.
The adaptor in the images I posted might possibly be a replica, (made by someone), of a Type A as it has no recess cut in the top or cut outs for the key to fit it??
Still, it looks relatively ok till I find an original.

Nice examples you posted in your pictures by the way. Hopefully saved from destruction.....
As ever, thanks again MINENAZ16, its appreciated.
Cheers!

IMG_5421.jpgIMG_5425.jpgIMG_5422.jpgIMG_5423.jpgIMG_5426.jpg
Hello all,
Just to follow on from earlier, attached are images of the differing adaptors, including what I thought was a replica adaptor. It not having a thread in which to screw a gaine, it has been suggested by another member here that it could possibly be a transit plug?
As you can see the Types A2 and A are threaded for a gaine.
Any ideas?...
Also, as an aside, the other 155mm I have has traces of original paint, yet no lathe turning marks beneath. Were all these 155mm's turned on a lathe, or were some cast to size only? Daft question, but thought I'd ask looking at MINENAZ16's images...
Many thanks as ever.

Last edited: