What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raufoss 37x302R

Dwight

I recently acquired this inert 37mm cartridge. The cartridge has been turned into a lamp and that was in fact the reason why I bought it! The cartridge is made by the Norwegian company Raufoss Patronfabrik and I think it is a Norwegian 37x302R cartridge. There are several markings on the case (see pictures) but I can’t make out the production year. I would be very grateful for any information regarding this cartridge, especially what gun(s) it was made for.

R.jpgR1.jpgR2.jpgR3.jpg

This is for the 37 mm HK 1896 L/45 Armstrong, an old case used before WW1.

The Gun might have been made by Armstrong ? are you sure ?, but it was a Hotchkiss. The first rounds for it were made by Hotchkiss Paris, cases were originally
37 x 307 but got shortened with use. The Hotchkiss cases and projectiles were marked Hotchkiss Paris. The projectile had the three ribbed Hotchkiss
design band. What you have is the secound generation Norwegian made type, projectile is more like the British 1 1/2pdr if not the same.

Attachments

• Hotchkiss37x307.JPG
    Hotchkiss37x307.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 37x302Norway.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 9