What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75 / 27 headstamp information please

charley777

20200529_170529.jpg

Greetings
Can anyone help with information / interpretation of this headstamp ?
It looks Italian ?
The case is 75 x 278R x 89.8 and has sadly been engraved including "Souvenir of Saloum 1940"
References to Saloum take me to Senegal ... French.colonial business rather than Italian.
So i have no idea ....
Have seen other references to Italian 75/27 cartridges that are much shorter ( which are therefore probably wrong ).
Any insights greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much
Charley

The reference to Saloum 1940 could be a mis-spelling of Sollum ,a town on the Libya ,Egypt board taken by the Italians on 13th September 1940 and recapture by commonwealth forces in operation Compass starting on 9th December 1940,was the case picked up locally ?Try getting hold of a copy of Italian Artillery of WW2 by Enrico Finazzer and Ralph A Ricci, a great book on a subject that isn't covered in depth by a lot of books

OK yes that makes absolute sense regarding "Saloum".
So that clears that question nicely.

I have a copy of the Italian WW2 artillery book and it is very interesting and informative.
BUT it is very lacking in information on dimensions of ammunition used.
So i don't know e.g. if the 75/27 mod 06 Krupp and the 75/27 mod 11 Déport used the same ammunition .
Any help on this would be most welcome.

I recently got this case locally ( in New Zealand )
And of course there were NZ troops in N Africa :)

Last edited:
Thanks Danny
I will have to check that manual out .... i may even have it on my laptop if it's been available as a BOCN download.
So if i understand correctly the M32 HE shell was used in 75/13 mt gun (75×129R) plus 75/18 SPG (75x185R) and in 75/27 field guns (at least one of which used a 75×278R cartridge case)

Not so easy to find case. The 75/27 is indeed the standard field gun but that case is 185 mm long. This is the 75/27 CA, I forgot what CA means. Anyway, this case is for the Krupp field gun and measures 75x277. I never found one.

This is the 75/27 CA, I forgot what CA means. Anyway, this case is for the Krupp field gun and measures 75x277. I never found one.

C.A. = contro-aerei, so it's for an anti aircraft gun. Official case length is 278mm for the Krupp cases.

Thanks Alpini ....that clears some confusion because i had 75/27 listed as having a 185mm case length. The C.A. explains it all :)
Do you know if the 75/27 mod. 06 Krupp (German)gun used the same cartridge case as the 75/27 mod. 11 Deport (French) gun ?

Hi Charley,
Could you post a picture of the engraving?
Cheers
Frank

Hello Frank

20200601_102506.jpg

Here's a photo of the text on case..
I don't normally bid for/buy these "damaged" items but the headstamp interested me and it was not expensive.
A good score i think ... excuse the pun lol