What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID of a 57mm projectile

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Not mine, I'm being asked for an ID and I've got nothing on it. More pics coming.

IMG_4261.jpgIMG_4271.jpgIMG_4258.jpgIMG_4259.jpgIMG_4274.jpg

Hello,
As far as I know EP is a typical marking for Belgian ordnance ("Ecole de Pyrotechnie")
I only know the Belgian 57mm with small fuze.
Your shell is similar to German 5.7cm Gr (Kz) (length in documentation 192mm without fuze) with variant of brass fuze made of alloy (zamac).
Regards

German 5.7
5.7cm GR.jpg5.7cm german doc.jpg

Same interrogation at that time, note the author mentions a probable Belgian gun (?)

Belgian 57mm
Belgian 57MM he.jpgBelgian 57mm case EP.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I think these are 57 x 224R Nordenfelt used by Belgians as a casemate gun and at the end of the war by the Germans as their A7V AF gun. EP refers to Ecole de Pyrotechnie in Belgium and I think N is also a Belgian early mark, however the marks on the base look very German, as well as the "Ersatz" style fuze.

Here it is, this matches dimensions and appearance, and its from a ww1 era id booklet to further confirm. Of note, is also that the casings are remarked (despite not pictured) as being of belgian manufacture. So these are most likely 2 A7V german ww1 tank cartridges. I am also currently checking if the germans refitted captured british mk1 and up tanks, i imagine they did. I could see them having used these in captired british tanks also.
060c.jpg

Last edited:
These are German manufactured HE projectiles for the Norderfelt 57x224R gun. The Germans captured many of these guns from the Belgians early in the war 1. They were originally used in a similar way, both as a light field guns and as flanking guns to protect artillery installations with canister in the event of opposing infantry attack. In early 1916 the guns were rebuilt with a recoil system and optics for use as anti tank guns, mounted on flatbed trucks for mobility. At this time the Germans manufactured the HE projectiles (both with brass and pot metal PD Fuzes) and also an APHE with delay for use against the British tanks. The original Nordenfelt and Belgian projectiles were Low Explosive (black powder filled). They also manufactured cases but continued to use old cases (I have an APHE round in a Nordenfelt marked case, the stake marks on the case match indentations on the projectile). This rebuilt gun was later mounted in the A7V tank. After the Russian Revolution, Germany came into possession of more of these Nordenfelt guns. This second batch were also rebuilt and then mounted in captured British Mk IV tanks. Probably the guns were manufactured by the Belgians and Russians under Nordenfelt license but of that I am not sure.