What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

glasmine plates

kiwieod

just got a different version of the pressure plate for the glasmine.this one has extra ribs in it and is much thicker,was this an improvement on the thinner one?
also have seen quite a few different versions,why was this?
also the thicker one is in near perfect condition,have they been found unused somewhere?

Attachments

• P1040091.jpg
    P1040091.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P1040092.jpg
    P1040092.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 77
I do not know for sure, but my opinion is that this is just a manufacturer variance. Yes, piles of these have been found before.

thanks,i suppose if quite a few different factories made them then there would have been variations but you think they would be made to a standard especially the way the germans are with their engineering and also the other glass plate that the top plate sat on was very thin

Also know as a coastal mine for wet areas.When sealed is very water proof.

Also know as a coastal mine for wet areas.When sealed is very water proof.

That makes sense and explains why so many were found in Normandy. Any idea what they used to seal them? Grease like the S-mines perhaps?

Has anyone ever seem a dug up example that was sealed still?

this version was supposed to have been made by the rene lalique factory but most sources say the factory was shut down during ww2
anyone got any more info

Attachments

• P1040192.jpg
    P1040192.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 29
I wanted to post this here because I didn't see any mention of this and didn't want to start a new thread for it. My Glasmine had an anchor on it and looking for info on it I stumbled across this site which mentions that although most makers used numbers, 3 actually used symbols:

A precise analysis of the production of glass mines is also made more difficult by the fact that the glass parts were only seldom marked with the common glass symbols of the smelters (e.g. NC for Noelle & von Campe). Instead, numbers were mostly embossed, but sometimes they were omitted. Exceptions were the Bernsdorf glassworks (anchor), the H. Heye Germersheim glass factory (little tree) and Ruhrglas AG in Essen (hammer and swords). [17]

https://glas-in-boffzen.com/2020/11/06/eine-waffe-auch-aus-boffzen-die-glasmine-43/

That would be an interesting read up but its in German. I suspect a thicker top glass would be heavy enough to deal with less sensitive fuzes to activate them.

That would be an interesting read up but its in German. I suspect a thicker top glass would be heavy enough to deal with less sensitive fuzes to activate them.

I just used the translate option. The first paragraph seems to have been written 3 times in a row for some reason. It is mainly talking about discovering that the glass company was making glasmines during the war. One of those "history intersects" type things.