What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 Butterfly Bomb leaflet - fake or real?

LEI-13-HG

Here's an unusual one... this Butterfly Bomb warning leaflet has been doing the rounds for several decades. I bought mine in Rochester in 1990. However, for a wartime leaflet, it has one or two puzzling features.

For a start, it is not printed on standard thin wartime economy plain paper but thicker yellow paper. Secondly, it has thick blue, almost raised print. I suppose it could have been printed like this to draw immediate attention to the leaflet, as the SD2 was a nasty little bastard.

Also, all the examples seen are in mint condition. The design and font look wartime, so if it is a fake, it could be based on a wartime leaflet but repro-ed in colour - however, no known example in plain wartime paper and simple black ink seems to have surfaced over the years.

Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL...892316?hash=item1cdeca6c9c:g:TdMAAOSwN8hd5WQO

that fact that he has over 10 copies available suggests they may be fake(although its quite possible a bundle of originals were found)
also look at the print with a good magnifying glass,if the print looks pixelated then its definatley fake

He has a lot of other repro stuff, but the other stuff is described as copies in the description.

Hi every one just to add I brought my example as always many many many years ago it was at the the Tilbury Fort military show the dealer had these all on a roll tightly packed I would love to say for sure there no reproduction but the paper and ink needs testing to see how old they are......Dave