What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusal Mills Grenade Trainer

Third photo of original post clearly shows it is a standard centrepiece, albeit punctured by a couple of self tappers.

I'm not sure about clearly but I agree the baseplate was screwed in as you say. It may have been shortened. So when the grenade was cocked do you think the cone head of the striker rested against the underside of the centrepiece? It would probably have had a very short travel to the primer.

I'm not sure about clearly but I agree the baseplate was screwed in as you say. It may have been shortened. So when the grenade was cocked do you think the cone head of the striker rested against the underside of the centrepiece? It would probably have had a very short travel to the primer.

It is a standard Schultz Die Casting centre piece. The circular imprint that carries date and maker is evident.

I am not sure what you mean by resting against "underside" of the centre piece? Examining the second photo in original post, and comparing dimensions of cartridge, grenade body and striker, shows there will be 2-3cm of travel when cocked striker is released, enough to fire a percussion cap.

The .303-in cartridge is not original to the device, and although it fits the hole in the cylinder, that might be simply fortuitous. The "igniter set" could be based on many things, for example a .410 could fit.

Attachments

• 20200608_143547.jpg
    20200608_143547.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 12
1591358291258-1940202.jpg

It looked to me Tom as though the cone head of the striker was larger than the spring and the central hole therefore would not sit in the central hole like a normal striker. If it does go 'up the tube' then maybe it would all fit together.

Working from other people's photos is difficult.

It looked to me Tom as though the cone head of the striker was larger than the spring and the central hole therefore would not sit in the central hole like a normal striker. If it does go 'up the tube' then maybe it would all fit together.

Working from other people's photos is difficult.

Apologies if I am being a bit dim. The fourth photo seemed to indicate to me that the conical headed striker resided within the central tube... albeit not cocked in the photo. I had thought the striker pip was protruding through the plate, but maybe not.

Attachments

• 1591358339587-162314488.jpg
    1591358339587-162314488.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 22
Tom

That is the last thing anyone would think of saying about you. Me maybe!

That photo is interesing as it implies the cone of the striker is in the central tube and that the plate with two screws is in contact with the bottom rim of the centrepiece. in that case the central tube of the centrepiece may be wider than normal to accommodate the cone.

The 'gaine' tube must screw tight against plate, so again not much travel for the striker. Without seeing the centrepiece out of the grenade I don't think we'll know.

The 'gaine' tube must screw tight against plate, so again not much travel for the striker. Without seeing the centrepiece out of the grenade I don't think we'll know.

From the image showing the protruding striker pip, a centre-fire igniter is what would screw tight against the plate, screwed home by the steel cylinder. The travel of the striker within the centre piece is going to be 2-3cm before it is halted by the plate plus percussion cap.

Without actually having it to pieces I don't think we can be sure either way.

To finish, I'd just like to thank Spotter for bringing it to the forum - another previously unknown part of the amazing Mills story.