What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25Pr Drill Projectiles.

ron3350

I thought I would compare the 3 Marks of 25Pr Drill Projectiles. The weights are approximate only for comparison.
The Mk1 has a wooden body with brass nose and base screwed together by a steel bolt. Steel fuze cap.
It is stamped: 25Pr 1 DRILL Mc&P over V 2/44.
Made by McCabe & Pomeroy P/L, Melbourne, Vic. It is 435mm long and weighs 8.5kg (19lb).

The Mk2 has a black rubber body with brass base and top. The steel fuze cap screws into the nose, not onto it.
The base has 2 key holes and a lead core. Stamped : 25Pr 11 cMc 1942.
I do not know if this maker is English or Australian. It is 440mm long and weighs 7.5kg (16lb). Note earlier date than the Mk1 projectile.

The Mk 3 is steel made from a converted projectile with the old info barred out on the base.
The body groove is unusual and it has a steel nose plug. It is the heaviest. Green painted top section.
It is stamped: DRILL 25Pr MK3 MO SXIA 5-50.
Made by Maribyrnong Ordnance,Vic. It is 425mm long and weighs 11kg (24lb).

This shows the weight variations between these 3 Marks of Drill projectiles. Mk1 was still made after the Mk11. Maybe the rubber was not satisfactory?

25Pr Mks 1,2,3..jpegMk1.jpegMk2.jpegMk3.jpegDrill Mk1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a different type. Found here in South Africa. Not sure if it is locally manufactured. The "U with arrow" indicated use in the South African Defence Force.

Weight: 9 kg

IMG_0723.JPGIMG_0722.JPG

Last edited:
I have a different type. Found here in South Africa. Not sure if it is locally manufactured. The "U with arrow" indicated use in the South African Defence Force.
Made by Stewarts and Lloyds (South Africa). S&L were gearing up for shell orders in August 1940, so certainly would have made a few drill rounds.

Attached - initial planned output.

Attachments

• S&L preparations.jpg
    S&L preparations.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 16
CMC - Commonwealth Moulding Co., Pty., Ltd., (Marquis Plastics) 242-256 Prince's Highway, Arncliffe, Sydney, NSW. Phone LX 1236 (8 lines).
Main business was making Bakelite items for radios and other electronic equipment.

TimG