What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 400 series Fuze.

ron3350

I need to identify this British fuze that must be a 400 series but the grub screw for the cap was drilled through the last digit it seems.
I compare it to an Australian No 400 11 Navy fuze. It looks similar but is threaded for the screw-on cap.

Stamped: No 40? 11 N G.N.H 9/42 59. Graduated 0-22 in tenths. It has never been filled. Who is maker G.N.H?

The Australian No 400 11 fuze is stamped: No 400 11 AN MF / 42.
Fuze a.jpegFuze b.jpegFuze c.jpg

Ron,

There are only 4 No.40* fuzes - 400, 400C, 401 & 402, which were all Naval Service. The 401 was the same contour as a 206 and the 402 was a fixed time fuze for AA shrapnel (it didn't enter service). There is no information regarding the 400C, but going by the nomenclature it's a converted 400. There were problems with the time ring composition of the 400 and also tensioning and it was found removal of the bridge on top of the time ring alleviated this. The 'C' might denote fuzes modified by change of composition or removal of the bridge.

Yours looks like a 400 with the thread for the cap turned off.

Has it got slots? Is there a fillers monogram on it? (just seen you say it's never been filled)

No trace at all of GNH.

TimG

GNH could be GN Haden & Sons, Trowbridge, peacetime maker of ventilation, heating and air conditioning equipment. Made 18-pr HE and Shrapnel shell in WWI.

Tim - is the marking on the second fuze No.440 IIA N MF?

Tom.

You got me thinking now. The British fuze has no slots and the diameter is the same as the Aussie one.
I believe it has never had the threads cut so possibly a reject or production line sample? Thanks to both of you.