What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x86B Drill Round.

ron3350

Who can identify this 30x86B Drill round? Is it British LV or German?

I also show a steel case German Practice shell 30x85B (213/30). Also a British 30x86B Exptl LV round that is stamped RA2/2957 on the case above the belt.
These all have a rim diameter of 31.9mm. Later 30mm LV had a 33.3mm rim.
Both the Drill round and German rounds have a small shoulder. The LV Exptl (in white) does not.

30x86B Cannon a.jpeg30x86B Drill Base.jpeg

It's not clear which you want to identify?

I take it you mean the middle one as the upper is the British LV (see below) and the bottom German for the MK 213C (213/30).

IMG_20200618_0001.jpg

If you do mean the one in the middle, I don't know.

Last edited:
Yes I mean the steel case Drill in the middle. The shoulder seems odd. Who has other 30mm LV Drill rounds to compare?
My guess is British but is it a proper LV Drill or a mock-up for some trial using the German case dimensions? All interesting items with little info. Ron.

Last edited:
I found another 30x86B Dummy/Drill round in a collection so include it in this old thread.
This black painted steel Dummy is headstamped R/29. It has a small groove above the belt.
Same early rim diameter of 31.8mm with a smaller belt diameter of 32.1mm (usually 33.8mm).
Same dimensions but the black one weighs 444 grams, the shiny one weighs 456 grams so may not mean anything.
It looks British to me as I have an Exptl LV stamped on the case above the belt: RA2/2928 but this is just a guess. All comments are welcome.

30mm 1.jpeg30mm 2.jpeg30mm 3.jpeg30mm 4.jpeg

Ron 3350

The round in the middle /having the base with 4 punch marks is German.

Cheers womble

Thanks womble.
Your top one certainly looks like mine with 4 base stabs and 2 neck stabs/dints.
I can now call it German rather than a British Dummy. They both have similar appearance.
Is your other round black painted/finish like my query? Were German rounds headstamped? Thanks for your information. Ron.

DSC_0749.jpgDSC_0749.jpgRon3350

Thanks, the bottom one has had a hard life and is a bit pitted and some one has cleaned it and painted it dark grey - with regards markings there appears to be some marking- not quite sure but very hard to tell/also get a better photo - please see pic. cheers womble

CSC_0750.jpg