What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gauges of Luftwaffe ammunition / fuzes

Pepant

For the beggining I want to say hello!
I discovered this site today and its perfect! I found here lot of stuff which I like. I will post some of my cuttaway too.
Im trying identification some stuff for while . First idea this is ring - gauge. After few weeks i remembered at marks which I saw in book - eagle with L. Second thing i found out is number of drawnings - that was good, a lot of german handbooks is on net. Only problem is searching in them. I spend few months by looking into several books and hundreds pages - best handbook for identification was "Handbuch der flugzeug Bordwaffenmunitions 1936-1945" where I found 1/2 of my gauges. But remnant is hard for me. Im sending some photo ind hope you recocnize something usefull. Sending some I identified , thanks for help, qustions are welcomed.

Photo 1 - gauge and drawning of 15 mm Cartrige for MG151
mix.jpg113_1651_L1.jpg
Photo 2 - one i found + unknown

If you are interest i can send more photo, i have about 30 pieces.
Have nice day.
Pepant

Unfortunately no, but i ques some factory in czechoslovakia(Vsetin ; Brno; ...). one type of gauge is marked by "getewent" thats military fabric too. I was loking where was 13E 3803 (gr.zdlg.c/98 o.v ) made, that can me guide too. I think its mix after war - some have krigsmarine marks some WaA code..

The private ammunition factories ordered and paid for these gauges when they got an order from the OKW. But if these were special gauges like yours which were special made for ordnance production after end of delivery these became Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe/Marine property. The factories had a permanent shortage of gauges because they aged quickly in mass-production.

That sounds reasonable, every gauge have diferent "WL" nummber and some of them (113-3104/113-371 - unknown ) are in big number. Some have "BA" number which i didn't find - BA 6499;BA 7875; BA 8622.

WL=Wehrmacht Luftwaffe
RLM=Reichs-Luftfahrt-Ministerium
BA=Betriebsabnahme (Luftwaffe too)

the BA Stamps are acceptance stamps like the small "L"-eagle stamps.

Last edited:
More photo

Today i made some progress in photo-assign so here it is: 113-1021 prirazeno.jpg113-1081 prirazeno.jpg113-1151 prirazeno.jpg113-1221 prirazeno.jpg113-1532 prirazeno.jpg113-1603 prirazeno.jpg113-1605 prirazeno.jpg113-1651 prirazeno.jpg

Now i try ID " 1D 1903 -3A8" and "Hfl 1B 1902-2A10". !

This one is made by "J. E. Reinecker AG" from Chemnitz (the city I come from). Reinecker was once a very large and famous factory for gear cutting machines, normal tool machines and tools. The factory (and major parts of the city) was nearly completely destroyed on 5th march 1945 by american / canadian / british bombers in two attacks (day & night). Surviving machines of the factory went to Russia after end of the war as reparations.

I am impressed by the quality of the tools. Such gauges bought today are looking 100% the same.

I found: HERZSTARK - WIEN; Hommelwerke ; Feinprüf (now Mahr); Gebr Merkel Suhl; R. STOCK & CO some others im not sure. Most of times are non written - only symbol or letters like : loga.jpg and more. A lot of company still working and have good renome (like Mehr and Merkel); Thank you for help Alpini i will note your info to my database i made for these gauge.

Do you have any idea about your #17, the GR Logo. What factory is this??? The same Logo appears on a 9mm P38 chamber gauge.

Do the identification of all these markings appear somewhere???

Great post!

Cheers,
Lew

Last edited:
q0R0XxP
Hello Lewis, it will be probably "G.Rauchfuß" → Georg Rauchfuß ( https://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/archives/collections/trade-literature/r/ ) i didnt find more information yet.

EDIT (ADDING PHOTO): Old eagle + numer of part, i didnt find yet

Last edited:
Thanks for the info from both Alpini and Pepant. I have been posting data on 9mm P08 & P38 chamber gauges on the IAA Forum.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/german-9mm-g-n-chamber-gauges-pre-1946/40895/13

To allow the identification of the manufacturers of these gauges, I started another topic on identifying the manufacturers logos on the chamber gauges.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/unknown-german-gauge-maker-symbols/40953/21

This task became interesting and we decided to include the logos from all ammunition related gauges. About that time a friend who is a regular on the BOCN aimed me at this thread, which worked out great. Today I loaded over 20 logos to the ones we already have. The IAA Forum is open to everyone so I hope this last topic will provide a reference for a broad group of collectors and students of ammunition and related items.

Cheers,
Lew