What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First WW German Cases Lot Numbers

doppz92

Premium Member
Hi, this question has been bugging me for a while and I cannot find any info on it:

On all 1st WW German cases is the lot #.
As far as I understand, when a factory started manufacturing a certain type of case, first lot was number 1 and so on until for some reason manufacturing stopped (1918 mainly). Am I right?
So, for example Lot # 952 on a 10cm case made by Polte in 1917 means they were 951 lots previously made to this one and this started well before the war.

How many cases were manufactured in a Lot? Between 2 different factories, were each lots of the same quantity? Does it vary with the caliber?
I know, I know, there are more important tings in life but it keeps me awake at night! :wink:

Last edited:
Not a specific one in particular, that's the point, I am trying to know how the numbering of the lots was made and how many cases were made per lot and this by caliber if it's possible.

Then it's not possible to answer your question in detail. I think lot sizes for 10,5 cm howitzer and cannon cases were different. For 7,7 cm field gun cases I know that they had 10000 pieces per number but you can imagine that 38 cm cases had a lower count per lot for sure. Some factories restarted the numbering every year others with a new contract. Also fuzes and shells were stamped with this system. But it's very difficult to find documents about such things.

Last edited: