What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOE & OSS issue,sleeves jointing self soldering number 3

dave321

anyone have any info on the above ?

they are basically a narrow bore copper tube with some solder in the middle of the section,
this is surrounded by a heating composition and lit with a matchbook striker.

it is used to solder or join 2 pieces of wire together, which are pushed in both ends when the solder has melted,
thereby joining the wires together.p-1782-P1170897.jpg

These are also sometimes found packed in individual lead foil sleeves with a roll turn seal. Presumably for Tropical use. Sleeve marked with a red spot contains a small striker board for use accordingly.
20200627_160633_resized.jpg20200627_160657_resized.jpg

I am really not sure that these are an actual SOE or OSS store, as I have seen no concrete evidence to support their issue by SOE, apart from a few composite collection pictures on the internet. I believe that they are a standard engineering store that might have been used by these two organisations on some occasions. Having watched the video, I really struggle to believe that one would use this item for joining cable for field demolitions, except under almost ideal conditions - far too slow and fiddly when under fire. Use in the field for repairing communications cabling is a much more likely scenatio. I would welcome some opinions or thoughts from more qualified members if possible please.
Cheers
Switch

SOE may have tried these but its unlikely they used them as its the opposite to what they were likely doing,cutting phone and power lines etc, they certainly wouldn't be messing around joining cables for demolition work(giving away their location especially in the dark).all charges/booby-traps would be pre prepared anyway
these connectors are more for semi permanent joins like engineers would do

Thanks Kiwieod - My thoughts entirely.
I picked up a device for cutting overhead wires the other week, but I will start another thread for it whem I get some pictures taken.
Cheers
Switch

I think the Soe connection pardon the pun has come about because this store was also used for radio connections like Ariel and power connections