Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

British manufacturer 30 cal ammo tin

Hi, question..i have always assumed that these tins were WW2 made...am i correct in this assumption?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egdod View Post
    Hi, question..i have always assumed that these tins were WW2 made...am i correct in this assumption?
    Show photos of the tin, or tell us what markings are stamped into the tin.
    Wanted: Baton/Irritant rounds (inert) and associated items, .700 NE (inert) and boxes (empty), .32-40 cartridge boxes (empty), WW2 British shotgun cartridge boxes (empty), Greener Police Gun cartridge boxes (empty). Message me if you have any of these items for sale/trade.

Thanks
    Cal .30 M2 ammunition box marked on side and SF ltd on the end over US flaming bomb.

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egdod View Post
    Cal .30 M2 ammunition box marked on side and SF ltd on the end over US flaming bomb.

If it has the US flaming bomb stamped on it it was manufactured in America
    "Any live or recovered ordnance in my posts has been dealt with by trained EOD personnel"

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Barbeques on fire by the chalets past the castle headland
    I watched the gift shops glitter in the darkness off the Newborough gate
    All these moments will be lost in time, like icecream on the beach
    Time for tea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LCplCombat View Post
    If it has the US flaming bomb stamped on it it was manufactured in America
    British manufacturer as LTD after initial.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Ltd is used in the UK, Canada, and many Commonwealth countries. it is sometimes used in the US as a descriptor for Corporations, but does not have the same meaning as in UK.

Looking at various discussions online a lot of people are saying S.F. Ltd is British, but no one has any proof of the company identity and is largely an assumption based on the use of Ltd.

Some people have said it is Canadian, again no proof, and some even say it’s a US company. But no one is offering any proof.

Some of the SF Ltd M2 boxes have turned up containing belted Kynoch made ammunition dated 1953, others have contained HXP ammunition. This might signify post war manufacture, or it could simply be boxes that are being reused. The M2 was late war into the post war era, so likely that it is post war.

The US M2 box was not the only box type made by S F Ltd, as there were also 50 cal boxes that have the identifier Nr58 which is clearly a post war Dutch identifier. The Dutch using a lot of US surplus equipment/arms. One such box is listed on eBay with photos.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ammunition-container-/28389643614

Perhaps someone can identify the Dutch contract for the Nr58 boxes, and through that identify SF Ltd, or at least the country that made the Nr58 boxes for the Netherlands.

Edit: Added a couple of screenshots of the Nr58 as the photos will no doubt vanish from eBay eventually.
    2nd edit: Added a couple of pictures from the internet, one from the IAA Forum, to show the M2 box with SF Ltd and US flaming bomb markings.
    Last edited by reccetrooper; 26th June 2020 at 11:04 PM.
    Wanted: Baton/Irritant rounds (inert) and associated items, .700 NE (inert) and boxes (empty), .32-40 cartridge boxes (empty), WW2 British shotgun cartridge boxes (empty), Greener Police Gun cartridge boxes (empty). Message me if you have any of these items for sale/trade.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reccetrooper For This Useful Post:

AE501 (28th June 2020)

Thanks
    May we see the lid? Does it have a .30" cartridge embossed on the lid, running across the box near the handle?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AE501 View Post
    May we see the lid? Does it have a .30" cartridge embossed on the lid, running across the box near the handle?

The M2 box doesn’t, it is embossed on the bottom of the box (screenshots from SOF website and IAA forum)

The Nr58 box does (screenshot from eBay)

Last edited by reccetrooper; 28th June 2020 at 10:24 AM.