What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills grenade family

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I'd be very pleased to see on the same picture, side by side, HE Grenades Mills No 5, No23 MkI, No23 MkII, No23MkIII, and No 36 (and especially No 23 MkIII with No 36), to easily see the external differences.
I'm sure bocn mills experts could share it !
Regards

Here are some images of the various aspects.

Left to right: No.5 MkI (early transverse cast body); No.5 MkI (common longitudinal body casting); No.23 MkI; No.23 MkII; No.23 MkIII; No.36 MkI.

Tom.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Back_1.jpg
    Back_1.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 84
  • Plugs out.jpg
    Plugs out.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 79
A very nice photo would include the grandparents, cousins and grandchildren - a very long line.

By that I mean Roland, Mills prototypes, Dunkirk, Baltic states, Commonwealth through to 1972.

Tom

I liked your three photos in post #2 - terrific quality.

I had the idea of a long photo - like a school photo - with the oldest Mills on the left going right to the 1972 model.

It would be quite a list.

Roland, Mills / Roland Hybrid, Serrated Steel Shell, No 5 Transverse, No 5 Longitudinal, White Training No 5, Dunkirk, No 5 IP, Mills aerial mine / grenade, No 23 Mk I, No 23 Mk II, Gibbons No 23 Mk II, No 23 Mk III, Gibbons No 23 Mk III, No 36 M Mk I , Inter war training (5 holes) , WW2 Commonwealth, 1970 Trials, 1972 Last batch. Add in possible IRA, worldwide terrorist copies, various Mills prototypes and a few you might be able to think of.

An amazing history.

Last edited: