What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chatham Military Fair restarts 12 th July

Millsman

Premium Member
Have just heard from James Aslet that Chatham fair will restart on the 12th July.

Life returning to normal...

John

Hope to be stalling out there as lots of new things to sell off that's not been on market for many many years

is there more than 30 customer's attend Chatham then.... most are touches, feelers, players and chatters. maybe wait till Odersey at Detling then

It is 30 people Dave. Organisers + stallholders = no customers allowed, with a big sign outside ‘sorry 30 people already’.

If things have settled and restrictions are lifted by the time that Detling is due, that could be the big militaria fair this year.

Maybe in November we will see the Birmingham and Bedford fairs. It could give the Bedford fair a bit of a boost as that seemed to change after it moved to Milton Keynes.

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed that the Kempton Park fair can go ahead?

I had read that exhibition centres used for events had to remain closed.

Unfortunately Chatham is not outdoor, unless James can use the car park area opposite the buildings.

What is he hoping to do about Military Odyssey?

Unfortunately Chatham is not outdoor, unless James can use the car park area opposite the buildings.

What is he hoping to do about Military Odyssey?

Even under a roof it counts as a outdoor market. Nearby Maidstone town market is mostly on the ground floor of a multi story car park with only about 10% of stalls outside. That has been going ahead for a few weeks now. Chatham is the next door council (Medway) so are not out of step.

The fair was a great success. Absolutely packed with dealers with one coming from Scotland and a few from north of Watford. Well attended by the public, the only difference from normal was the wearing of masks by some people attending. Lots of hand sanitizer available.

Almost felt like normality had returned.

Regarding Detling, James Aslet told me that a meeting with the local council will take place on the 27th July to decide go/no go or limitations or changes to format. Anything that comes out between then and now will probably be rumour / speculation.

I enjoyed it. Plenty of dealers and not as crowded as when I’ve been there in the past. Unfortunately I missed out on some bargain shrapnel shell cases by 30 seconds and a grenade purchase wasn’t quite what I hoped. (Mentioned in grenade section) However, I got a Zt. Z. S/30 fuze for my 8.8cm HE shell (on the want list for a while) and overall it was just nice to have some relative normality. Here’s hoping Military Odyssey is on.

Sadly the Detling Military Odyssey for 2020 has been cancelled.

In the end the local council couldn't sanction an event where many people stayed overnight and there were discussions about the Odyssey team providing 24hr a day cleaners for loos / showers.

In the end it was a local authority decision for it not to take place. Payments made by dealers / traders for 2020 will roll over to 2021.