What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills 36 details

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
After nice Snufkin's pictures, If you want, we can continue with No36.
Today I compare two ww2 No 36 found in France (from British soldiers or dropped for resistance) and I was suprised by external different shape.
The right one seems to be fatter than the left one.
Only 1mm difference in diameter but the right seem to have been fed by Mc Donald's while the other appears to have dieted by Weight Watchers (lol).
Seriously, I assume makers had their own molds and large tolerance in manufacturing (size, fragments shape...)

Regards

IMG_0042.jpgIMG_0050.jpgIMG_0052.jpg

Details : left grenade
IMG_0043.jpgIMG_0046.jpgIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0055.jpgIMG_0056.jpg

Details : right grenade

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0058.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Seriously, I assume makers had their own molds and large tolerance in manufacturing (size, fragments shape...)

Regards

Yes and they did from 1915 onwards. There is an amazing variety of Mills body shapes (and sizes).

John

interesting... the slimmer one on the left is the more common shape, right? I've seen Mills grens depicted in paintings etc as fatter and rounder than the ones I've seen for real and in photos...

PS, looking for a mint complete WW2 or post war 36M with original markings if anyone has one for sale :)

The variety of Mills bodies seen in WWI continued in WWII with the No.36. Shown below are No.36 made by (left to right) REVO, Parkinson Stove Co., Turnbull & Co., and Singer. The top and bottom bands of segments show significant variation, resulting in differing body shapes, but that is how the master patterns were made by different companies.

Attachments

• 20200701_212016.jpg
    20200701_212016.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200701_212008.jpg
    20200701_212008.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 30
just thought you guys would like to know the crazy prices they are getting for mills grenades down here
a couple of weeks ago one sold for $1220 NZD!
several more have made around the $700 mark

just thought you guys would like to know the crazy prices they are getting for mills grenades down here
a couple of weeks ago one sold for $1220 NZD!
several more have made around the $700 mark

A friend of mine bought a Mills Gas Check Body prototype there recently. He paid a pretty penny for it I bet.