What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QF 10 pounder Russian

charley777

Greetings
Can anyone provide the dimensions of the QF 10 Pr Russian cartridge case please?
I don't even know the caliber.....
An image would be useful too.
Cheers

No idea, but if it was a case I would expect the caliber to be between 70 and 76,2 mm. I base this on the only British 9 pounder I know of (70 mm), the British 10 pounder which is a 75 mm bag charge, and the fact at 76,2 mm all cases known to me are > 10 pounder (12/13/14/15/17).

according to Hogg's book Cal. 2.95in. No case details but a bit under powered must give a clue to it being a shortish straight case, scaled down 13pr??

Greetings
Can anyone provide the dimensions of the QF 10 Pr Russian cartridge case please?
I don't even know the caliber.....
An image would be useful too.
Cheers

I don't know of ANY collector or museum that has a case, projectile (of any type), or even a drawing or photograph of them! The calibre is 2.95-inch and the nose fuzed projectile had a No. 44 fuze. The gun was introduced in 1915, designed and made by Elswick Ordnance Company on Tyneside, originally for the Russian Navy. Twelve of these guns were made and supplied to the UK Admiralty, with high-angle mounts for anti-aircraft use. The supply of the special ammunition was a nightmare for the Navy and they were handed over to the Army in 1916 for use in the AA defence of London. Declared obsolete in 1919.

There are two photos of the gun in Hogg & Thurston's book "British Artillery Weapons and Ammunition 1914-1918", where the information above is obtained from. Depotman

About 10 years ago I acquired at a local car boot sale a 75mm x 660R case with Russian markings, dated 1902. Not being into Russian ammunition, the only reason I bought it was because it had a "CF" stamp on the base.

I put a post on here on 1st September 2011 under the heading "Headstamp information required, with a photo Either under Identification, or Cartridges).

Whether the case was for what we call the "10-pr Russian", or some other Russian 75mm gun, I do not know. Did we ever use any other 75mm Russian gun or guns?? If EOC made a gun for Russia, it would help sales if it was chambered for existing Russian ammo, rather than something new that only EOC could supply.

Roger.

This case is a 76,2x661DR101, not 75 mm, and probably with an anchor for navy use. The only Russian 75 mm I know of is a 75 mm M15 Skoda.

About 10 years ago I acquired at a local car boot sale a 75mm x 660R case with Russian markings, dated 1902. Not being into Russian ammunition, the only reason I bought it was because it had a "CF" stamp on the base.

I put a post on here on 1st September 2011 under the heading "Headstamp information required, with a photo Either under Identification, or Cartridges).

Whether the case was for what we call the "10-pr Russian", or some other Russian 75mm gun, I do not know. Did we ever use any other 75mm Russian gun or guns?? If EOC made a gun for Russia, it would help sales if it was chambered for existing Russian ammo, rather than something new that only EOC could supply.

Roger.

Roger, That is fascinating but without any known dimensions for 'our' Russian 10-pdr, its identification can't be confirmed. As soon as any facts come to the surface you'll be the first to know! Trevor

Kornel,

The mouth of this case was certainly less than 76.2mm in diameter; I had a very hard job getting any 75mm projectile to go in! The case seemed to be similar to the 75mm 50Cal pattern 1892 Canet naval case, as far as I could tell. I think I read somewhere that the Russians did use this gun. The "CF" stamp on the base was with the C a slightly larger size then the F, as seems to be usual for British ammunition, but if we did use it, what did we know it as? I would love to get a definitive answer!

Roger.

Firstly i agree with 2pounder that it must have been underpowered as an AA gun and had a relatively small cartridge.

As for the Schneider case used by Russia .... i have one of these and when by good fortune i found a projectile for it in Japan it was indeed a very tight squeese to get into neck. This shot measures about 74.7 mm at the widest part. And i have it listed as 75x661R x101 M1892 Schneider naval L/50 .
As you will see from the headstamp it is Russian.20200707_094027.jpg20200706_213904.jpg20200706_213822.jpg