What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 57 mm question

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Does anyone know whether Russian 57 mm AA rounds have been produced with steel cases that were originally painted silver in colour? A round turned up in a Lincolnshire scrapyard this week. It put me in mind of some tank ammo I saw in the Gulf in 1991 - photos of those are on BOCN somewhere. The fuze looked relatively larger than those I saw in 1991 (fuzes for Russian tank ammo were relatively small as I remember) and I wonder if some of the S60 cases were made of steel. I have one from the Gulf war that is made of brass. The one found this week appeared to have a silver colour fuze, distorted at the forward end and may have been a blind. Needless to say it was blown up. I have no picture of it.

hello
mostly "silver" color steel cased rounds are dummy (russian)
china maybe made service steel cases but they are lacquered

do you had picture of your round ?

Thanks ammogun. No, I have no picture of it. Some of the Russian tank ammo I saw in the Gulf was silver in colour but I don't think that was drill ammo.

hello
yes many service "live"russian ammo had "silver" steel cases
tank ammo ,artillery ammo ,some anti aircraft (30x165) with zinc coated steel cases

but some calibers won't show with these "silver" case (23mm ,30x210 navy ...)

another exemple :12.7x108 are only in brass cases ,the very rare steel cased are dummy (for russian made not the other country) but 14.5 exist both steel and brass