What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two 18prs in one day - NO Lamps this time !

Gspragge

Premium Member
Two very different examples, one a first rate souvenir type ,maybe ww1 made ?
It has a very well made cast dummy fuze with graduations, usually these are rubbish.
It has the push plate and central flash tube.
The other a very nice original Sectioned Shrapnel with original paint.
The latter was in an unmarked case but it has a small threaded hole in the base.
So at one time it was on a wood base of some sort.

I cleaned up the Souvenir round and it turned out nicely (with the likely loss of the skin on my
fingertips). Both casings have been "Gilded" in some form, fairly heavily. The gilding
is inside the primer pockets and inner walls of the cases. These cases never saw primers.

I am not putting the sectioned Shrapnel back into the other gilded case, though it has likely been that way since
it was removed from the wood base it was on. So I have an extra gilded case if any one needs something like that,
though it's not likely worth the postage ~

Both are by the same company (both came from the same original source)
Does any one recognize the company mark ?

If any one knows where I can get some proper resin I have several loose
balls to put back in it that came with it. I don't think I would try to restore it perfectly, but
some more resin and a couple more balls wouldn't hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_0005 (1).jpg
    IMG_0005 (1).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0006 (1).jpg
    IMG_0006 (1).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0002 (3).jpg
    IMG_0002 (3).jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0001 (7).jpg
    IMG_0001 (7).jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0001 (6).jpg
    IMG_0001 (6).jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0004 (1).jpg
    IMG_0004 (1).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Both from the same company and I just checked, in the same month as well 1 - 9 - 16.
If any one knows the company mark I would like to know who made these.
Also a source of resin to do some minor restoration would be great.

I am not an expert for allied factory stamps but in this case I remember the Canadian Westinghouse Logo looks very similar.

As Alpini suggested: Canadian Westinghouse Co. Ltd, Hamilton, Ontario. Founded 1903.

Attachments

• _Canadian Westinghouse.jpg
    _Canadian Westinghouse.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I really like the sectioned shell Gordon. It's been well made and I think worthy of a good restoration. Araldite glue looks very similar to resin and shrapnel balls are easily obtained on eBay etc. You would probably also get some if you advertised here. I would hand clean/polish the existing resin to clean it up a bit. What it really needs is a suitable period No. 80 Mk IVA or V sectioned fuze or even a No. 85.
Cheers, Graeme

Thanks, I'll look into the glue and see if it is over here. It came with the sectioned plug which is firmly on and original
to it. So I won't mess with that. I haven't touch the sectioned projectile yet. I have a shrapnel full of loose unfired balls
so I'm good for those.

Which type of Araldite glue do you use, there are a number of different kinds.

Last edited:
Which type of Araldite glue do you use, there are a number of different kinds.

I'd go for the 5 minute setting variety, but only mix a very small amount to do one ball at a time, as it goes off very quickly once you mix the catalyst hardner.