What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Item From the Sea

Depotman

Premium Member
Any ideas on this sea recovered item? Only markings are "MK III" and "PLAIN".

74b4caab-1e9b-47f1-b412-b6b248db4e4b.jpg3bec92b9-f7e5-419d-8ba8-e757fe32b662.jpga0d4310f-df90-430e-bc40-0de1a1eaf496.jpg25315659-8c07-4dbc-9b9a-da7c418a9911.jpg

Thank-you. Depotman

Super interesting specimen! I have no idea, but really hope someone here can properly ID it.

Jason

The 2 rings, on on top and one at the bottom right of the last photo, are called snap rings. I use smaller versions at work. They are designed to hold something in place so it does not come out easily. I don't think this is ammo or anything with high pressure inside. It may be a core sample part of a sea bed drill or may even be an item just dropped into water by accident. All are my guesses only. Basically I don't know.

It's evidently a Mk III without peanuts. :xd:

Last edited:
Mk III ? I must have serious problems with my eyes because I read Mk VII !
Can you give some dimensions like diameter of the copper tube ?

Yoda

Apologies, it is a Mk VII. It's not in my possession and I've asked for dimensions; I'll post any info as soon as I get any. Depotman.

Could it be some sort of fire extinguisher?.
They have featured on here before as internals can be similar in appearance to ordnance.

The 'owner' is now back from holiday and has given me the dimensions, which are 1.5 inches dia x 10 inches long. Identification now easy?! Depotman

Could be a booster can from a MK7 depth charge.

pg008.jpg